JellyPages.com

Thursday, November 22, 2012

Guest Post: Single Girl's Thanksgiving

Hello Georgia Peach Friends & Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm Elle and I blog over at Faith & Serendipity

I'm so excited that Ashleigh is having me guest post on her blog today!

When I was trying to decided what to post about on Thanksgiving the obvious answer was to do a "Thankful Post" but you know what? Those have been done, done & done... so I'm going to tell you a little bit about being single & living in a new city on Thanksgiving.

In July I moved from Michigan to Las Vegas to teach 3rd grade. I moved out here only knowing 1 person & her husband. Yep... I my family thought I was certified crazy...
And while I do love living in Las Vegas, I am missing my family & friends around the holidays. So here is my list on how to make being single in a new city full of holiday cheer!

1) Make New Friends! I'm so lucky to actually like my co-workers (well most of them). The other 3rd grade teacher invited me out to dinner with her and her parents. See you at 6 pm Cosmopolitan!
2) Work! Yes I have a full time job as a teacher... but you don't go into teaching for the money. Unfortunately student loans & bills don't understand that. I had to pick up a 2nd job at Old Navy. Which turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Not only do I get to work with fun people & tell crazy stories but I get to work today & get time and half.... I'll be too busy to self-pity!

3) Make your own Thanksgiving Dinner! How many times have you gone to a relatives and only liked maybe 5 dishes? That happens to me a lot! I absolutely LOVE my aunt but she can't cook at all! This year I decided to re-create my own Thanksgiving foods that I love. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes & green bean casserole.

4) Skype with Family! My parent's have just figured out the amazing technology of Skype. It's the funniest thing to watch to say the least but I get to see their faces so it helps :)
5) Be Thankful & Happy! While it is a bummer that I don't get to be home for the holidays I need to remember how blessed I am. I have 2 jobs that I love, my own apartment, car, and a few close friends & family that love me!
My Parents & I

Family Picture when I was 7.
When all else fails.... Drink Hot Chocolate & Write Christmas Cards!
 Happy Thanksgiving! 

 

No comments: