JellyPages.com

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Banana Bread Nut Bars with Brown Butter Icing


Banana Bread Nut Bars with Brown Butter Icing



Bar Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream
1/2  cup unsalted butter softened
2 eggs
4 ripe bananas mashed
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 cup all purpose flour
11 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2-1 cup chopped walnuts

**A Few Secrets**
If you use self rising flour instead of all purpose you do not have to use baking soda & when you mash the bananas up its ten times easier to use a grinder it makes it so much easier on you i promise :) hope this helps! 

Brown Butter Icing
1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 cups powdered sugar 
1 tsp vanilla extract 
1 1/2 tbsp milk

** A Few Secrets**
You do not have to use the icing it taste good both with & without! I normally do half & half because some like the icing & some do not! Also i have cut the icing ingredients in half because when I first made it I learned that the original amount was just too much & even the one now is a little much! You will also want to keep an eye on the butter when you are cooking it! I will explain that down below in the directions :) Hope this helps!

Directions
1. Heat oven to 375
2. Grease & flour 15*10 in pan
3. For the bars in a large bowl beat together sugar, sour cream, butter & eggs until creamy. Blend in bananas & vanilla extract. Add flour, baking soda & salt then blend. Stir in walnuts after.
4. Spread batter evenly into pan. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Stick a toothpick in, if it comes out clean then its cooked & you can take it out to cool.
5. Meanwhile for frosting heat butter in large saucepan over medium heat until boiling. Then remove from heat. Add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, & milk. Whisk together until smooth.
6. Once the icing is finished & the bars are finished, take a spatula & spread the icing over the bars.

**A Few Secrets**
Remember if you used self rising flour you do not have to use baking soda (quick reminder) & for the icing it should be thicker then a glaze but thinner then a frosting. & a little thing I learned was that its easier to spread over the bars when the bars are still warm verses cooled.



Ladies I hope you all love this as much as do! I hardly share recipes on here because I feel as though they will never be used but I am sure some of you do love them. So with that said you all have any questions please feel free to ask & I will try my best to answer questions! I love this recipe its one of my favorites :)

1 comment:

Shannon Dew said...

Oh lordy! This sounds AMAZING! I'm already a banana bread lover but the icing takes it up a notch! Trying this next time for sure!